I've been discussing conversion of MARC --> MODS v3 records with a
couple of people in the Z39.50/SRW development community who are
working on the OpenOffice project.  I was asking specifically about
parsing titles and names, which is essential for citation formatting
and such.

While I cannot really understand the LoC mapping document fully myself,
my understanding is that it recommends *not* parsing personal names.
Is that right?

        http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/v3/mods-mapping.html

Also, I am under the impression that it suggests using the "creator"
role term.  On this, I'd like to suggest multiple role terms instead,
e.g.:

<role>
        <roleTerm>creator</roleTerm>
        <roleTerm>author</roleTerm>
</role>

That way you keep the more specific MARC role information along with
the DC-compatible "creator."

Bruce