On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 09:20, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
> So going back to the non-standard (in the english-speaking world)
> examples Karen raised that largely prompted this discussion:
>
> On Jan 23, 2004, at 10:49 AM, Karen Coyle wrote:
>
> > Note that a nonSort element is not always a full word and
> > doesn't always get spaces, such as in 17th and 18th century works in
> > French where the apostrophe was not used: Lhistoire.... In this case,
> > the nonSort is "L" and there are no spaces; or in Arabic, where the
> > nonSort is "al-", as in: al-ʻArabah al-dhahabīyah lā taṣʻad.
>
> I wonder if this would work?
>
> <titleInfo xml:lang="fr">
>     <nonSort>L</nonSort>
>     <title>historie...</title>
> </titleInfo>

I don't think language alone is enough.  "Le" which would also be
lang="fr" would need a space.  How would you distinguish between "L" and
"Le" unless you maintained a list of all possible articles in your
stylesheets (like you mention)?  This seems like a lot of unnecessary
complexity.  Treating as attribute with space, as others have mentioned,
greatly simplifies this:

<title nonSort="L">...</title>
<title nonSort="Le ">...</title>

To me, the space is content, just as spaces between words are content,
not just a matter of display (which is what I would want a stylesheet to
handle).

Kevin

--
Kevin S. Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Lane Medical Library, Stanford University