Delos Eilers has compiled a comprehensive list of 3M tape stocks which is
on the AES website. It doesn't list problems with the tapes, but does list
the characteristics of each tape tape, which often point to the problems
that would have developed. If you have trouble remembering whether Scotch
202 or 206 was backcoated (like I do), this is where to go.

http://www.aes.org/aeshc/docs/3mtape/aorintr1.html

David Seubert
UCSB