Hello All,

As someone who has been shipping 78-rpm records for over 40 years, I can
second many of the suggestions. Making the closest you can get to a solid
mass is an excellent idea; many people use strong cloth or fiber tape with
junk records and a couple of cardboard squares on each end of a group of
discs to help render the pack solid and the disc unmoving in transit. The
other old rule in addition prescribes at least one inch of padding between
the outside of the group of discs and the outer world. I've seen wadded
newspaper, cardboard, foam in squares or popcorns, and bubble-wrap used
safely. Boxing each group of discs and surrounding each group with a box,
then padding, then an outer box is also good. Many dealers use these ideas
(of necessity -- it's their income that's at risk), and all I've done is
imitated them. It's only safe to take shortcuts on these methods if you
yourself are going to be doing all the work.

Sincerely, Richard