Hello -
I shipped some 4000 78rpm records from California to Hawaii in two crates,
by ship, with no breakage a few years back.
Your best bet would be 11" x 11" x 11" boxes (or 12" x 12" x 12"), the
records packed vertically (standing on end) tightly within but without
bulging and then use crushed newspaper to pad, as you suggest. The wooden
crate should hold 6 boxes in a tier 2 x 3, side by side. That's appx. 600
records a tier. Stack them 3 rows tall and that's 1800 records a crate
weighing appx. 900 lbs or around 1000 lbs including the crate.
Have some sheets of styrofoam cut 2" x 24" x 36" and put them over, under
and between each tier. You can have the crates built to spec or probably
you'll luck out and find something similar and adapt to your specs. Ask your
shipper what they have available.
I took the records to the shipping warehouse myself (you can probably find a
styrofoam dealer nearby if the shipper is in an industrial area) and helped
pack them right there.
Works like a charm and the styrofoam absorbs a lot of thumps and bumps
during shipping making for happy, unbroken records.
You can leave the 10" records in the albums, but I cut all the sleeves out
with an Xacto knife and tossed the cardboard outers and saved some space and
weight. Ship the 12" records separately from the 10" ones.
Don't ever use packing peanuts!!! They shift in transit and that can cause
uneven weight within the box which will cause breakage.
I spent 50 cents apiece for the records ($2000) and the shipping and packing
came to around $1200. Still a bargain at less than a buck a record so don't
stint on the packing whatever you do.
If you have any more questions please feel free to let me know.
Malcolm Rockwell

*******