Thanks to everyone for the very helpful and informative replies.  I do
have a couple of follow up questions:

> Your best bet would be 11" x 11" x 11" boxes (or 12" x 12" x 12"), the
> records packed vertically (standing on end) tightly within but without
> bulging and then use crushed newspaper to pad, as you suggest.

Is there any particular reason that 11" x 11" x 11" would be better than
10"x10"x10"?  The 10" inch box would certainly make for a tighter fit.
Is the concern based on the fact that, with a 10" box, the edge of the
records would be touching the interior walls on all 4 sides?  The 10"
boxes are about 20 percent less expensive than the 11" boxes - but since
my main concern is that the records arrive in good shape, that price
difference is certainly not my deciding factor.

> You can leave the 10" records in the albums, but I cut all the sleeves
> out
> with an Xacto knife and tossed the cardboard outers and saved some
> space and
> weight.

I am going to want to keep the storage albums as I have a feeling that I
will have an easier time getting some of my money back by selling them
than I will finding someone who wants the records that don't match my
listening tastes.

What is the best way to pack the filled albums?  Yesterday, I
experimented with a 12"x12"x12" box and found that 10 inch albums fit
very nicely inside. Obviously, I would want to make sure that the top
edge of the albums all face in the same direction and that the box is
oriented so the records are vertical.  My concern is with the safety of
records that might be in albums that may have only 1 or 2 out of 10
sleeves filled.  I have not seen the collection in person,  so I am not
sure what percentage of such albums there may be.  When I look at empty
or nearly empty albums, I notice that the ends of the covers come
together at an angel.  Completely filled albums, on the other hand, form
a perfect rectangle and the records appear to be flat against each
other. If a partially filled album were packed between a bunch of other
albums which were completely filled, would the records in that album be
at extra risk - or is the spine of the album cover designed to prevent
that from happening?  Is it recommended that, once in the box, the spine
of the album covers all face in the same direction as they would if they
were placed on a shelf?  Or is it better to alternate the direction of
the spine on each album?  I have never really trusted albums so I rarely
use them.

Thanks again for all the help.