-----------------
Forwarded Message:
Subj:Kindergartner's 78s
Date:2/26/2004 10:45:31 AM Eastern Standard Time
From:Mwcpc2
To:[log in to unmask]

I've just finished listing my accumulation of small diameter 78's and was
surprised at how few there were.  For many years of thrift store browsing I've
always poked my finger through the holes of the stacks of 45s looking for
anything unusual.  I ignored the five inch colored plastic records since they are
usually in such poor condition as to be unplayable, but have hundreds of 7" LPs.
 However most of the children's 78s are ones I had myself as a child. I
suppose a 7" shellac disc in the hands of a typical five year old would last about
as long as a chocolate chip cookie.

In shellac at that age I had two albums of Dr. Sigmund Spaeth's "Little
Masters," only three of which survived, and two Pied Piper albums, all but one disc
intact.

A few are cardboard. There a couple of Picture Tone double sided folk song
records by "The Merry Singers" and Christmas novelties by Record Guild of
America and VOCO.

Vinyl is represented by single samples of Rocking Horse, Spear, Mouseketeer
T-V, and Tops for Tots.

Then there are some cardboard cutouts from cereal boxes or books: Mouseketeer
and Disney.

It doesn't seem that very much survived of this specialized medium.  What are
other collector's experiences?  How many on the list still have the records
they had at kindergarten age?

Mike Csontos