In a message dated 2/2/2004 1:04:07 AM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:
I think there are many people on the list who can gently play tapes. I can
on Studer (A810 or A807) or Sony (APR-5003V) equipment. I've played tapes
dating back to a 1935 Carbonyl Iron tape, but while I've had to sweep up
after them, I've not encountered an early tape with oxide totally flaking
off. This is very interesting.

I have found reels of the cheap green boxed "Shamrock" brown oxide mylar tape that shed oxide in sheets leaving clear base.  That is probably why it ended up in those boxes.

The oxide sheets just fell off as the tape was unwound; no bond to the base at all.  It would be very hard to salvage.

Mike Csontos