I am curious about a part of the EAD 2002 DTD.

In the EAD DTD you have two choices on how to link files to the encoded finding aid.

1)  Declare an entity in the document declaration and add an entityref attribute to the linking element in the body of the document
2)  add an href attribute to the linking element in the body of the document.

Is there any advantage of one over the other?  The second choice seems much less complicated to me.

In the Text Encoding Initiative (TEI) Light DTD, the user is limited to the first alternative.

Thanks,
Bill Walker
Imaging Field Services Officer
Amigos Library Services