Harmony made acoustics from 1925 through early 1930 or thereabouts.  I
used to have three Julie Wintz 1930 records:

149755-1        Harmonica Harry Harmony 1104-H
149756-3        The Man from the South  Harmony 1092-H

150473-3        After You've Gone       Harmony  1169-H

The first pair were made electrically on 14 Jan 30.  The last was made
acoustically on 16 April 30.  Go figure.

 Some earlier stuff was electric, i.e. organ records, Rudy Vallee.  The
circled W prefix on Columbias etc. meant that royalties were due Western
Electric.  I'm not sure when the earliest were made, tho I'd guess 1928.
Electric Harmonys have no W prefix, though they sound as good as WE, at
least to me.

Sometime in 1930, everything new was electrically made, though still
without the W next to matrix numbers.   Harmony  & allied labels (Clarion,
Velvet Tone) were history by the close of 1931.  Jack Teagarden's "Chances
Are" (1403-H) from 10/31 may not be the last Harmony, but it's close.

Anyone else have any pertinent thoughts or facts?

Dick

"Rob Bamberger" <[log in to unmask]>
03/17/2004 11:27 AM