Dear Peter,
        Columbia's early '30s varied matrix designations are complicated & often unclear. The 350000s seem to be renumbered from OKeh & Col mxs.  In 1931, OKeh seems to have been beccome a budget label, sharing new releases with Clarion, Velvet Tone & Harmony.  OKeh used fictitious bandleader names like Buddy Campbell & Ed Parker, Cloverdale Country Club Orch. etc. on these releases.  Louis Armstrong's records weren't disguised, nor were new hillbilly & race releases, all of which kept using conventional OKeh W 400000 matrix numbers.  The highest OKeh matrix (made 21 March 32 in Chicago) is:

W 405189-?        Kepin' Out of Mischief Now        Clarion 5470-C, Harmony 1423-H, OKeh 41564, VT 2530-V

by Paul Specht's orchestra, OKeh as Cloverdale CC (accoring to files) or Buddy Campbell (according to Rust).  Non-OKeh issues give matrix as W 351163.  The session included 3 more titles with mx #s W 405186-89 and W 351161-65--no W 351164 according to my notes, which could be wrong!).  At any rate,  it looks as though OKeh ceased to be active in 3/32, along with the other labels,  The Okeh name was used again in 1934, 1940, and in the 1950s & 1960s.  Harmony reappeared a couple of times later on, but it was sayonara for the others, and the W 350000 matrix series too.

On April 11, 1933, mxs W 405190-97 were created for mxs by Freddy Martin's orch and Frances Langford.  The Langfords weren't published;  the Martin sides were renumbered (W 152387-92) and issued on Columbia. The OKeh matrix series then expired permanently.

Columbia's 2000 matrices were made in Tokyo, 1903.  The W 110000 series (1929) was part of the general foreign language group W100000-W 114014, see my Ethnic Music on Records (Univ of IL, 1990) for details.
ds

"Copeland, Peter" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>

03/19/2004 06:07 AM
Please respond to Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List