In a message dated 3/29/2004 11:17:03 AM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:
> It does underscore the fact that digital archives will have routine file
> maintenance as part of their workflow.

Which for me is my fundamental concern. Not only is it the question of
refreshing files, but the concerns over being able to read files in the
future. While it seems that these days, such concerns are handled on a
regularized basis, is that a given?

This is what I have a hard time understanding.  To me the very essence of an archive is the unchanging nature of it's contents.  The current thinking in audio-video preservation is that the medium must be constantly changed in format to match the current technology.

This is an active process. Even neglecting the possibility of human error and equipment failures, it requires a constant approval of operating funds to assure continuity of the process.  There will be no discoveries of long lost documents in a neglected warehouse or attic.

I'm sure the world will survive, but it seems to be a real change in the concept of recorded history.

Mike Csontos