John is quoting from OCLC's Bibliographic Formats and Standards, 2.1 Original Cataloging and Copy Cataloging. The entire paragraph is:

Both OCLC and LC create rules for online cataloging. In general, follow LC practice when creating new records. If OCLC practice conflicts with LCRIs, follow OCLC practice.

I have interpreted that to mean the U.S. national practice (unlabelled) RIs, but the table of exceptions following the above paragraph include all 3 types of RIs. Can someone from OCLC on this list let us know how OCLC interprets that paragraph?

Looking at p. 4 of RI 1.7B2, I see 4 sections, two labelled LC practice, and two unlabelled (therefore U.S. national practice). The two labelled LC practice are not inherently mandatory for libraries other LC. Of course, any library, consortium, or utility can require that they be followed. OCLC may indeed be in that category.

Paul