At 12:50 AM 4/9/2004 -0400, Steven C. Barr wrote:

>As I understand it, GEMM is a database covering CD's...something like the
>Abrams
>files are to 78's. Thus, if you have your collection of sounds (either as
>recordings
>or as computer files) catalogued in digital form, you could then add the
>data to
>an ultimate collection of data on every digital sound recording that has
>ever existed (#3).

There are at least two versions of the database you describe, but GEMM is
Global Electronic Music Marketplace -- similar to alibris.com and
abebooks.com for books. It's a clearing house for small dealers...and a
wonderful place to find things. I've been using it for at least six years.

cddb is one of the CD cataloging sites, I believe.

Cheers,

Richard