At 08:42 PM 4/7/2004 -0400, Sherwin Cerini wrote:
>In a message dated 4/7/2004 7:59:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>[log in to unmask] writes:
>
>>so at the modern one to two gram range it probably takes much more than
>>10,000 hours to show significant wear.
>

>Mike,
>
>How are you able to play 78s with such low tracking force? I have 30 year
>old equipment which requires at least 3-4 grams tracking force. Is it your
>equipment that allows you to play at a much lower force? If so, which
>components of the TT make the difference?

A different Mike replies: It's the cartridge which determines the tracking
force you use. I put the appropriate Shure stylus into a V15 Type II
(ancient, but still first rate) and one gram is ample in a good arm.
Shellac rarely warps, the only situation in which I use more than that to
track LPs (with a different stylus of course and a different cartridge by
preference).

Mike
http://www.mrichter.com/