Greetings RA

I have two different instruments I use for that purpose.  One is a hand
held loupe, with three lenses which can be stacked.  The other is a
hand held microscope, which also has a reticle that allows you to
measure objects.  Regarding when you need to replace, the wear on a bad
stylus is visible and generally unmistakable.  It should look smooth
and (of course) be still rigidly mounted to the tracking pin.

You can find good loupes and microscopes at Edmund Scientific
(www.edmundoptics.com).  Try the F30-225 for $59 (x50 mag) if you like.

All the best

Alex