I am just about to finish teaching my advanced cataloging class which
includes several weeks in which we look at metadata other than MARC and
AACR2.

Among other things that we do in the class are to look at various digital
projects that are available on the web and the kinds of metadata that are
presented to the public.  Most of the various digital library software
packages that are available contains some type of metadata data entry
template--many are based more or less on Dublin Core, but some are based on
locally developed schemes.  My goal from looking at the various sites is for
the students to realize that not only do the digital library packages
differ, but that different types of digitized data may call for differing
data elements.  Digital photos of historic costumes need data elements that
are different from digitized sheet music.  Scores need different data from
sound recordings!  We also discuss the indexing implications related to the
presence/absence of data elements and how this might relate to federated
searching tools.

My students are assigned to complete Dublin Core metadata records for 3
websites of their own choosing.  I do ask that they are in good taste.  I
must say I've learned a lot about popular and rock music!  I then evaluate
the records based upon my viewing of the sites.

My goal is for my students to be someplace between level II and level III
after completing the class.  The state of Michigan has a number of digital
projects underway and is going to need a number of individuals who can
participate in the planning and execution of these projects.

Anaclare F. Evans, Ph.D.
DALNET/ 605 SEL
Wayne State University
Detroit MI 48202