Cataloging educators and trainers:

The EDUCAT list has been created to continue the discussion begun at
the ALA Midwinter workshop on Preparing 21st Century Cataloging and
Metadata Educators and Trainers, and to facilitate a wider discussion
among educators, trainers, and practitioners. We have not yet advertised
this list beyond the workshop attendees so that questions and issues
raised at the conference could be addressed first before the wider
community participates.

To start the discussion rolling, let me raise the question of the
Levels of Expertise spelled out in Ingrid Hsieh Yee's report. There was
a fair amount of back and forth about the Level I expertise, that is,
the skills and knowledge recommended for all LIS students through a
required course on organization of information. This level requires a
general understanding of cataloging concepts and principles, but does
not include coverage of specific cataloging standards such as AACR2 and
MARC except as examples.

Level II is aimed at students planning careers in cataloging and
metadata, and Level III defines expertise needed to design manage
digital projects.

What should be the core competency of all LIS students in the area of
cataloging and metadata?

Please feel free to address other issues related to cataloging and
metadata education. We look forward to a lively discussion list.

Diane

Diane Baden
Associate Director
NELINET, Inc.