Linda,

You have definitely addressed exactly my question here. However, the ID
attribute cannot be repeated in the MODS record. So, if I have two themes
that I need to represent, using your suggestion I will have to represent
it as follows:

        <mods:subject authority="local" ID="AT1">
                <mods:topic>Analytic_Theme_1</mods:topic>
        </mods:subject>
        <mods:subject authority="local" ID="AT1">
                <mods:topic>Analytic_Theme_2</mods:topic>
        </mods:subject>

From your suggestion, all "themes" will have to have the same values for
@Authority and @ID to map them to the "theme" category using an XSL. But
ID is of type xsd:ID, and cannot be repeated. It's not like an ID for the
authority, from what I understand it is just an element ID. Did I get this
right?

Also, the list of possible authorities is not controlled, but there is a
reference to the list at
http://www.loc.gov/marc/sourcecode/subject/subjectsource.html in the MODS
documentation.

So, I cannot really use just @Authority to represent the category.

I will appreciate any help from you on this.

Thanks,
Priya