Hi,
The University of Wisconsin Eau Claire is offering a program called
"Learning By Doing: Teaching Public History in the Classroom" as part of a
grant they received. It is a two year study to encourage the use of primary
sources with students and to develop projects which can be publicly
displayed. National History Day is one such forum. Participation leads to a
certification in public history. Part of the program is a dissemination
element in which members can form local study groups to pass on the ideas to
colleagues. Study group members will receive training on National History
Day, utilizing local historical museums and virtual museums, and participate
as judges for the Regional National History Day contest in Eau Claire next
spring. There are also two required group meetings each year. Up to four
graduate credits are offered with no cost to participates fulfilling all
requirements. If there are any Fellows in the area who would like to
participate in our local study group, please let me know and I will be happy
to pass along your names and the specific dates of meetings. Registration
ends May 31, 2004.
Patricia Solfest
Fellow Class 2000