Hi Aaron,

We've come a long way from the limited cleaning & residues left by using
household detergents to clean phonograph records.  We invite you to hear
the difference safe & thorough cleaning affords.

Regards,

Duane Goldman

At 10:22 AM 5/18/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>I have been a collector for many years and have had some records
>that I have encountered that are visually perfect and still with
>successive
>cleanings, both manually and with a machine, the sound remains distorted
>and gritty sounding. This conditions persists with every alcohol based
>product
>I have encountered.
>
>I took a copy of a record which suffers from this disease, NRISSTB,(no
>reason it should sound this bad) and I cleaned it with one tiny drop of
>dishwashing soap. I made sure to add ample water to it and cleaned it
>till no
>visible residue was on the disc. I then cleaned the surface again with
>a record cloth to remove any late arriving airborne residue. The results
>have been really amazing. These records now sound infinitely better than
>the ever did with alcohol based cleaners.
>
>These dish products are designed to "cut grease" and as I understand it,
>a thin layer of oil can exist on  LP's as a result of the stamping
>process
>itself. It is my belief that this oil coagulates with time and sits in
>the grooves
>attracting all kinds of contaminants and grit and particulate matter in
>general.
>
>When the old lemon joy gets in there it seems to dissolve the oily
>residue
>and in the process let go of a lot of tiny noisy particles that have
>been resting
>there for decades...I have done this in the presence of other
>collectors who were
>horrified and then amazed by the procedure and the results.
>
>Obviously, I suggest trying this first on a valueless, noisy record to
>see if what
>I am saying is true.
>
>Has anyone else out there tried weird counter-intuitive "solutions" to
>record cleaning and if so what have been your results?
>
>I am sure many ARSC people and all polymer chemists will tell me I am
>doing more harm than good in the long run but the immediate results are
>in some cases nothing less than dazzling in my experience.
>
>BTW, this seems them most effective on records from the mid-60's and
>earlier, did the vinyl manufacturing process change after a certain
>point, thus using less oil or something like that when making LP's?
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Aaron (Don't try this at home kids) Levinson

      ------
h. duane goldman, ph.d.   |   P.O. Box 37066   St. Louis, MO  63141
lagniappe chem. ltd.            |   (314) 205 1388 voice/fax
"for the sound you thought you bought"       |   http://discdoc.com