Here at Family Theater, we make all digital backups; I make two CD
masters of the shows that I've finished as well as archiving all the
.wav files to a separate160 GB hard drive which will be disconnected
from the system once the project is finished.  In addition, I'm using
two other separate hard drives of smaller sizes to work from and to in
the digital cleanups and mastering, so I guess I have major redundancy.
In our opinion, digital does everything quite well, and we'll migrate to
any better formats in the future for added redundancy and accessibility.

I should mention that I'm remastering from 16" transcription disks as
well as 1/4" off the air masters, and both of those formats still stand
up very well, although I find that some of the tapes exhibit minute
dropouts which are heard primarily in music cues, because of the
sustained quality of the waveform.  In most cases, I'm able to boost the
signal level back to normal and use some filters to make it seem
seamless.   Also, I see some oxide "dust" coming off on my guides and
heads, but nothing major.  I figure these are all the variable artifacts
of analogue tape  Of course, one must constantly clean the tape path and
degauss the heads for the best reproduction.  I use the Disk Doctor's
stuff for cleaning the disks, and that works well for them, but I must
admit it's nice to have the finished .wav files; there's an awful lot of
time and labor involved in these projects I'm sure we all agree.

Rod Stephens
Family Theater Productions