In a message dated 5/17/2004 8:48:41 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
I am transferring some 78s to a cassette deck. I bought some fluid
specifically to clean the heads from Radio Shack. Since the ingredients are different
forms of alcohol, it seems to me that the same fluid cannot be used on pinch
rollers since they are made of rubber.

What should I use to clean the pinch rollers?

Thank you.

Sherwin Cerini

Pinch rollers are made of many materials so there can be no rules. I've seen
ones that turned to gooey tar and others that got so hard they cracked.

I haven't seen evidence that alcohol damages any, though overuse (after each
tape pass) might.  I've reclaimed hardened ones with a material called
"Re-Grip" from Rawn Company, Inc., Spooner, Wis. 54801 but this is not for routine
cleaning.

What seems to work best for me is saliva applied with the finger followed
with a good q-tip scrubbing.

Mike Csontos