Yes this direction reversal one of the best removal techniques I've
encountered as well.
However, I would like to point out that you do not want to do this
often if you are using a standard needle and cartridge. The orientation
of the standard needle is designed for clockwise rotation only.

In order to do this procedure with the best possible tools I strongly
suggest that folks purchase a two-way DJ cartridge for this application.
Excellent one are made by Shure and Ortofon that are explicitly two-way
systems. Secondarily, if you can get your hands on a modern DJ turntable
they can run in reverse as well(Technics 1200 Mk V I think) this machine
has tremendous torque and when run in reverse it will pop a little piece
of schmutz out of a LP groove like you cannot believe.

Aaron