Greetings:

Michele Tourney asked the following last week on the Archives and
Archivists List:

Last time I checked, an institution needed extra server-side software to
be able to generate documents viewable to the common web browsers,
because the basic SGML is not supported.  Has this changed?

I remember this was a problem in 1998, but I assumed that current
browsers would be able to support SGML and XML by now.  If the browsers
cannot, how does one obtain what Michele calls "extra server-side
software?"

Thanks for your help.

Marcus

Marcus C. Robyns, CA

Associate Professor / University Archivist

Northern Michigan University

1401 Presque Isle Ave

Marquette, MI 49855

(906) 227-1225