Greetings:

Michele Tourney asked the following last week on the Archives and Archivists List:

Last time I checked, an institution needed extra server-side software to be able to generate documents viewable to the common web browsers, because the basic SGML is not supported.  Has this changed?

I remember this was a problem in 1998, but I assumed that current browsers would be able to support SGML and XML by now.  If the browsers cannot, how does one obtain what Michele calls “extra server-side software?”

Thanks for your help.

Marcus

Marcus C. Robyns, CA

Associate Professor / University Archivist

Northern Michigan University

1401 Presque Isle Ave

Marquette, MI 49855

(906) 227-1225