I recently re-read Starship Troopers and what struck me was the strict segregation of the sexes in the MI.  I much prefer the movie's take on that.  However,  I much prefer the idea of the drop pods instead of troop transports for arrival and the individual powered suits with their own linked communications systems and weapons.  The movie struck me as a bit dated in that aspect-- Atleast some of the time they have bare arms and no breathing apparatus.  Not only that, they aren't all fully linked  -- why else would Dizzy have to tell them there was a general retreat -- and are toting around a nuclear grenade launcher like a WWII machine gun. Heinlein's suggestion of the women shaving their heads made more sense too and would have been more interesting.  Very WWII in many aspects but I liked it anyway despite the pointless love interest .
Rachel Thern <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>It was, as far as I'm concerned, very up-to-date for something that
>was already twenty years old. For a genre that's supposed to be about
>the future, it's often struck me as ironic that SF very quickly seems
>outdated in both topic and language.

Sort of unrelated, but I'm reading A Scanner Darkly, which was written
in the 70s but supposed to take place in 1994, and the main character
notes that regular gas costs $1.04. Oh no, over a dollar? If only.
Rachel

'We get that in here some nights, when someone's had a few.  Cosmic speculation about whether gods really exist. Next thing, there's a bolt of lightning through the roof with a note wrapped round it saying, "Yes, we do" and a pair of sandals with smoke coming out.  That sort of thing, it takes all the interest out of metaphysical speculation."
 from SMALL GODS by Terry Pratchett