I am impressed with the Direct-X versions of the Algorithmix suite that I have
and DC6 (Diamond Cut 6) seems to be an interesting upgrade to DC5 which does a
lot of things well.

I haven't heard anything better than the Cedar DeClickl that Graham Newton
demonstrated for me last December for 78 ticks and pops, but then again, I
don't do grooved media.

For tape media, the Algorithmix suite is quite nice. I'm running most of the
private (i.e. family) oral histories through it...and many archives are
requesting I clean the tapes and provide both cleaned and uncleaned copies.

For bad taped media with really nasty coherent problems, the harmonic and notch
filters in DC5 are very useful. Of course, shotgunning too many harmonics when
its not needed will change the sound quality adversely.

I use HPWorks FFT software to help me understand the character of the noise.

Cheers,

Richard
--

Richard L. Hess