Walter's process consisted of hanging a microphone or microphones before a cyinder horn while recording.  Anyone considering exchanging services for these tapes or their content should be aware of this.

Steve Smolian

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Eugene Hertz
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Monday, June 21, 2004 10:17 PM
  Subject: [ARSCLIST] need assistance transfering reel to reel tapes...

  Hello all,

  I am in need of some assistance in transferring 15 reel to reel tapes I won on ebay into digital form either one big wav file that I would break up, or individual wav files or even a regular audio CD. These are recordings of cylinders made by a new hampshire collector in the seventies and copies were made by a Mr. Walter L. Welch.

  I am looking for someone who can either lend/rent me some equipment and instruct me on its use or perform the transfers for me. I have very little in the way of budget so any and all generosity would be greatly appreciated!

  I would consider trading the actual tapes as partial payment for the work. I am not overly concerned with the quality of the transfers, I understand that playing back tapes can be a very complex and exacting science. I am merely interested in bringing these recordings back to to be heard again.

  I am located near New York City but would be willing to ship the tapes wherever they need to go. For more information and description of the tapes, please visit http://hertzmail.com/tapes

  I have estimated that there about 300-400 minutes of cylinders on these tapes. Please contact me off list. thanks!

  Thanks very much.
  Eugene Hertz