I too have a large collection of tapes. Mostly 2 trk 7.5ips stereo. I recorded them between 1954 and 60. They have been left in the origional cardboard boxes. They have been shipped from NJ to CA along with furniture then to upstate NY. Also with furniture. Then back to CA. in 94 shipped to TN same way. Have been stored in temps rangeing from 112 F to -15 F. They have survived with no loss except a few on Scotch 190. Most are 1 to 1 copies from the orig. 15 or 30 ips masters. Most have 1kHz and 15kHz at the front end. On my Studer some of the tapes are down 2 to 3 dB at 15kHz. Otherwise they are just like new. The tape used was Audio Devices type 51 master tape with the sputtered allumnium coating.
John