Jose M.,
Concerning editing the stylesheets in XmlSpy, the xsl document is an
xml document, but it does not need validation by the XmlSpy
validator. The XML declaration <?...?> is what is telling XmlSpy that
the document is XML. Because of this it trys to validate it.

Ignore the validation errors (doctype is used this way all the time).

If there are any errors in the stylesheet, the parser (SAXON) will
tell you when you try to use it.

The HTML stylesheet (EAD_2002_HTML_conv-1.xsl) is a sister to a PDF
stylesheet I have written. I am going to try to use the fo stylesheet
with XmlSpy and see what happens.

Mike Ferrando
Library of Congress
Washington, DC