Jose M.,
After I saw your message about XmlSpy Home Edition 2004, I downloaded
the program. I did get it to run successfully using Instant SAXON and
my stylesheet. (per my previous posts)

Sounds like you still need to change the parser to SAXON.

Follow the instructions for the external parser again.

Once you do, click OK.
Then see if your settings were saved.

"/ead[1]/frontmatter[1]" and ead_2002_html_conv-1.xsl
1. No such syntax exists in my stylesheet.
2. <frontmatter> is matched for empty templates only.
3. You said you were editing the XSL. Maybe this is your syntax?
4. In accordance with current LoC practices <frontmatter> is not
used. Thus the HTML stylesheet does not need to find any instance of
it ([1]; [2]; etc.).
5. There would be no need to write such a path, since the DTD allows
the element only ONCE (1) as a child of <ead>. <frontmatter> cannot
be used in any other place in the tag set.
6. Try to validate your XML. If <frontmatter> appears twice in <ead>
it is invalid. It will not validate with a ead/frontmatter[2].

Keep trying with XML spy.

I checked with users I know, and they do not use XmlSpy to edit XSL
stylesheets. Maybe the FAQ is a sign that the program is not really
set up to validate XSL as XML.

Mike F.
Library of Congress
Washington, DC