Richard D.,
Thanks for your encouraging words. Sorry I didn't see what you had in
mind when you said "ugly".

I tend to think in EAD 1.0 most of the time. I admit that dao |
daogrp has only one mixed content element parent: archref.

So, thanks for your tip on that score.

I think the solution that combines dao with extptr is a good one.

The issue seems to me that one would like to place information in the
source document not the stylesheet when transformation takes place. I
think it is a struggle to decide how aggressive the stylesheet should
be and how self-standing the EAD coding should be.

I really like to see the EAD source carry as much information as
possible and the stylesheet the least.

Maybe that is why I (as do others) look for ways to use the EAD tag
set to accomplish this in the document.

When I have a uniform title, I often code it as
DID/UNITTITLE/TITLE/@NORMAL and DID/NOTE/P ='Uniform title: ', so
that information will be seen whether it is grabbed by the stylesheet
or not.

Thanks again,
Mike Ferrando
Library of Congress