I agree with Mark's conclusions here. Seems like you'd only use the
<dao> at the point in the finding aid where you're actually describing
the image as a component in a multilevel collection description, so
somewhere in a <c0x> component. Once it is described and has an id and
description within the context of the finding aid, it seems logical to
use an <extptr> to embed it for illustrative purposes elsewhere in that
same, or a different, finding aid.

Bill