In answer to a question that appeared on the list regarding NACO training files:

NACO training materials have been undergoing revisions since the most recent official editions of May 2001.  We have been making use of PowerPoint presentations in classroom instruction for an unprecedented number of authority training sessions for the new catalogers hired in 2002 and 2003 at LC, with materials under development by various trainers.  As some of the newer files have been tested in training both for LC and for PCC partner institutions, we've spotted places where we could make improvements.

To meet the needs of institutions working in different systems, we have maintained different versions for OCLC, RLIN, and LC ILS users, adding to the complexity of revising training documents.  Changes in utility review processes have affected portions of the NACO instructional materials and the NACO training schedule.

After ALA...It is our hope that we'll be able to devote more time to establishing a full set of updated materials to meet the training needs of our current and prospective NACO partners.  We will make materials available to the NACO trainers and to institutions undergoing training by PCC trainers or by their own staff.

Carolyn Sturtevant
NACO Coordinator
Library of Congress
202-707-4551