From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Fox, Michael
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2004 7:21 AM
Subject: Re: EAD => MARC

I would not characterize encodinganalog as a relic since it is intended to be used in just this sort of process.   Since the structure of MARC does not parallel that of EAD in all respects and because MARC is sometimes more granular the EAD, an "internal cross-walk" may be required.  How else, for example, can one predict whether <persname> is mapped to MARC 100, 600, or 700?   Either the encodinganalog or role attributes could be used to accomplish this specification.

Michael Fox