Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 11:17:02 -0400
From: "Andrew E Switala" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Marc Truitt" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [MODS] transliteration

Hm, that would depend on whether the *words* are still more-or-less the =
same.  Like "city" written with katakana as =E3=82=B7=E3=83=86=E3=82=A3=E3=
=83=BC is definitely a transliteration, but =E7=94=BA would be a translatio=
n if pronounced as "machi" or a transliteration if pronounced as "city".  =
That's for Japanese, anyway.  For written Chinese, the characters =
represent both meaning and sound, so I think transliteration into Chinese =
would not be possible in general.

It brings to mind a MODS question: If titles are entered in the original =
character set and also transliterated, is the transliteration <titleInfo =
type=3D"translated"> or <titleInfo type=3D"alternative">?

--Andy

>>> Marc Truitt <[log in to unmask]> 2004-07-22 10:30:20 >>>
I like Karen's definition of of 'transliteration', although I would
observe its apparent ethnocentrism (linguo-centrism?).  Presumably, when
'Washington, D.C.' or 'San Francisco' are rendered in Chinese
characters, that, too, is transliteration.

cheers,

- mt