Good point.

I remember reading a retrospective on O'Neill's "The High Frontier" in
the National Space Society magazine a few years ago.  The article
pointed out that O'Neill's 1970s scenario of large-scale space
industrialisation by the 1990s, was built on cheap shuttle flights and
paid for by space power satellites.  This relied on two assumptions:
that the price of getting into space (the shuttle) would go down, and
the the price of energy (especially oil) would go up.  In the event,
neither assumption has panned out - but Clarke and Sheffield weren't to
know that.

Barry