This might also be "The Wild Road" and "The Golden Cat" by Gabriel King
see my review at  http://www.sfsite.com/06a/cats58.htm

And when it comes to cat stories (though without elements of wizardry) perhaps the best ever is "Jennie" (a.k.a. "The Abandoned") by Paul Gallico...this really captures the cat psyche, besides being a lovely tale of (cat) romance.

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Science Fiction and Fantasy Listserv on behalf of Barry Haworth
	Sent: Sat 03/07/2004 05:06
	To: [log in to unmask]
	Subject: Re: Story ID request

	Cats training to be wizards sounds like a pair of books by Diane Duane -
	"The Book of Night with Moon" and "On Her Majesty's Wizardly Service".
	I don't think these are quite what you are after, though - they are
	novels rather than picture books.  They do feature cats learning to be
	wizards, and the first one has an encounter with a reptilian monster
	(though not a basilisk).  Worth a look at any rate - I quite enjoyed them.

	Barry