On Aug 30, 2004, at 4:41 PM, Karen Coyle wrote:

> So you see how this can get very complicated, very quickly. However, to
> get clarity for myself on what roles I'd like to see in the Rights
> section, it would be ideal to have clarity on the roles that are
> relevant for other sections. Right now the only roles I see are in the
> METS Header section. It seems that some administrative roles that are
> not specifically rights roles would be appropriate - yes?

Yes, I think that would be helpful for a lot of institutions.  But as
you noted,
this is painfully complex even in the limited domain of rights.  I
think we'd
need to have a long discussion about what other types of administrative
roles/information people would want to record in other areas.   If
you're
actively working on trying to define some of this sort of information,
and
wanted to throw out some proposals/possibilities to get a discussion
rolling,
I think that would be a good thing.

Jerome McDonough
Digital Library Development Team Leader
Elmer Bobst Library, New York University
70 Washington Square South
New York, NY 10012
(212) 998-2425