Hi,

I have a quick question about transforming MODS documents into MARCXML. I have a database that has the ability to output MODS records for sound recordings entered in it. I was doing a quick experiment this morning to see if I could transform this information into the MARC21 format, using the stylesheets provided on the LoC site. Every time I run the transformation (in OxygenXML using Saxon), I get the following error

E Failed to compile stylesheet. 1 error detected.                null

E Namespace prefix marc has not been declared        MODS2MARC21slim.xsl        file:/C:/xml/mods/MODS2MARC21slim.xsl

its pointing to  line 249 of the MODS2MARC21slim.xsl stylesheet

248        <xsl:when test="mods:originInfo/mods:place/mods:code[@authority='marc']">
249                <xsl:value-of select="mods:originInfo/mods:place/marc:code[@authority='marc']"/>
250        </xsl:when>

Does anybody know what's going here, I tried deleting the entire <choose> (since I'm not using the originInfo tag yet, but I ended up with a document contianing only the initial xml declaration.  Has anyone else had luck using this stylesheet?

Thanks,

-Don

Donald Mennerich,  Archivist
Manuscripts & Archives Division