Our tech people are mapping an Access database to output both EAD and MARC
as XML documents. Currently, the SGML conversion to XML in NoteTabPro that
I use generates this string

The techies want to know if the encoding can be changed from ISO-8859-1 to
UTF-8 to support Unicode. My notes from the Publishing EAD Finding Aids
course indicate that XMetaL (which I use to create my SGML documents)
stores the document as UTF-8 and it needs to be changed to ISO-8859-1.  Is
this only for the ASCII editor or does XML not support Unicode? My final
output HTML document has it converted back to UTF-8. Must ISO-8859-1 be in
the XML document so it can be converted to HTML and PDF? Or is there some
other reason why the encoding is in ISO and not Unicode?

Thanks for any help and advice.

Sue

Susan Hamburger, Ph.D.
Manuscripts Cataloging Librarian