I guess it depends on how motivated you are. When I converted all of our
finding aids to EAD four years ago, I averaged about 70 finding aids a
day (I wanted it to be done and over with as quickly as possible). The
number of pages per finding aid varied widely, from as small as 3 to as
many as 200 if the container list was extra long. At the time, I
outlined my process on our website at
http://archives.utah.gov/referenc/ead.htm. Mostly I just used search
and replace techniques. New finding aids don't go through this process,
of course. Usually, staff members write up a draft in Word or something,
open up an XML editor, and use an EAD template to copy/paste from the
Word document to the .xml. Data entry for container lists are done in a
table or spreadsheet, then we use Word's mail merge feature to wrap the
XML around the fields, creating <c01><c02> etc., again using copy/paste
to move the resulting tags to the .xml file that has all of our note
fields. I'm not sure how long it takes them to create a new one, but the
process is not difficult.

Elizabeth Perkes
Utah State Archives

I am new to encoding EAD. I need an estimate of how many pages/ or
characters I can code in an hour.  I need this for a project I will be
doing.  Hope someone on the list will be able to provide this
information.
Thank you.  If you reply off list, I will summarize the responses for
the
list.

Martha Riley
Rare Book Cataloger / Archivist
Washington University, Becker Medical Library
Campus Box 8132
660 S. Euclid Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63110
314-362-2788