Thank you very much.  I'm afraid I do not know what a vessel is in this
context.  Could you define vessel or refer me to a dictionary with this
term.

Martha Riley
Rare Book Cataloger / Archivist
Washington University, Becker Medical Library
Campus Box 8132
660 S. Euclid Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63110
314-362-2788

             Beth Russell
             <beth.russell@MYS
             TICSEAPORT.ORG>                                            To
             Sent by: Encoded          [log in to unmask]
             Archival                                                   cc
             Description List
             <[log in to unmask]>                                         Subject
                                       Re: encoding rates per hour or
                                       character
             09/24/2004 12:17
             PM

             Please respond to
             Encoded Archival
             Description List

Martha,

For a grant that I am now working on, it is estimated that an EAD document
will take an average of about 2 days.  Of course, that varies, depending on
how many vessels are in each collection, because our detailed descriptions
at the end of the EAD contains a list of every vessel design in the
collection.  For the collection I just finished that had 58 designs, it
probably took me less than a day; however, I’m looking forward to a
collection that has over 500 designs, which will probably take me longer.
Hope this helps.

Beth Russell

Project Cataloger
Daniel S. Gregory Ships Plans Library