I second the thanks to Anita and all those involved with this effort!

I have two points to address:  one ethical and one pragmatic

THE ETHICAL ONE:

My questions have more to do with ethical questions than with organization of the site itself.  Part of this arises from concerns about self-preservation and part from watching the recent kefluffle on JESSE about using the teaching materials of another.

We all make our livings based, to a greater or lesser extent, on our abilities to create and use good teaching materials.  Some of use also publish versions of those materials as textbooks.  Sharing teaching tools is nothing new. Lord knows, some of the assignments I use now arose from assignments Monina Abrera let me copy to use when I was a mere wet-behind-the-ears adjunct!  We all want to share but we also don't want to give away the farm.

Like many instances of information sharing, ramping up to this level of information sharing requires us to determine a set of ethical guidelines that go beyond the legalities. This might prevent the kind of ever-so-slightly-rabid discussion the recent JESSE instance represents.

I suggest we draft a short statement of what is or is not ethical use of this material.  For example, many of us must place information representing evaluation of our teaching in our review files.  Certainly use of our teaching materials by a colleague at another institution represents affirmation of our performance in this area.  What about a simple ethical statement like "It is expected that those who use materials linked to this website, either verbatim or as a model for their own materials, will notify the original author of the materials."  A simple email would do the trick.   Those who needed more for their files could ask the user of the information for something on letterhead or whatever.

Another guideline may expect that we cite our sources for teaching materials of this type just as we cite the sources of quotes we use from the published literature.

I'm not trying to be "Use Police" here.  I just think that we do need to think of ourselves while we work toward the greater good.  If we don't protect ourselves and our intellectual output we risk being replaced by inferior copies of ourselves by those who would overuse us.

THE PRAGMATIC ONE

Can the documents for which the creator has no access to a public server be stored on the same server as the clearinghouse itself?  One problem with that, of course, is that people tend to forget they send stuff to an off-site place and the stuff never gets updated.  (I have enough trouble remembering to delete and remove links to stuff that's too old for words on my own site to worry about stuff I've sent someone else.)

Gratefully to all working on this,
Heidi
(who still is planning to send examples of using chat for AACR2!)

HEIDI LEE HOERMAN
SCHOOL OF LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SCIENCE
UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA, COLUMBIA, SC 29205
PHONE: (803) 777-0485, (800) 277-2035 FAX: (803) 777-7938
EMAIL: [log in to unmask] (preferred)
           [log in to unmask] (second choice)