Heidi and All--
    As a kerfluffler on Jesse, I heartily endorse the ethical statement.

I'd also add the suggestion that there be a mechanism to post
variations/comment on the materials--So, if I would be sharing my
most excellent OCLC derived search key exercise, Heidi could submit
her variation of it and it would be posted next to the original. (All
in a FRBR-like display of related works, of course ...) Then maybe
there could be a message area that would allow posting of snippets of
experience: "I've found the world's most clever derived search
problem"--or "watch out--students tend to misinterpret this aspect of
the assignment!"

I realize that kind of functionality might not be possible for a
first version of the clearinghouse site, but I think it could open
the possibility of continuous improvement/update on the posted
materials. Creating good cataloging/metadata materials is so very
time-consuming that the idea of a space where we could communally
work toward a set of "best practice" exercises (particularly on key
topics) is very attractive.

Very few cataloging assignments have reached near-universal, iconic
status (I've met no cataloger who cannot recall "Eighteenth-century
Swedish devotional poetry" as a DDC problem--but what was the answer
to that one???), but I think that there are a few areas where a
reliable, shared body of educational experiences could benefit
students moving into the profession and those who provide their
on-the-job training afterwards.

Cheryl

--
Cheryl Boettcher Tarsala
Adjunct Assistant Professor

The views expressed here are my own and not those of UIUC or GSLIS.