Thanks to both Michael R. and Mike F. for the *very* helpful clarification.
As I understand it then, the c0# element is for sections of the finding aid,
while the did element is for describing the actual items (letters, etc), and
container/physloc/physdesc are used as needed to describe the physical
arrangment of the items.  The next problem I'm encountering is that one can
only have a single did within a c0#.  This seems counterintuitive since a
section of a finding aid (e.g. correspondence) might have several actual
data items in it (e.g. correspondence A, correspondence B, etc).  I'm
working now on an example of such a finding aid and so far this is what I've
come up with (below).  The c0# is given a title since it's a section of the
finding aid, then each next lower level c0# does NOT have a title since it's
simply there to hold a single did.  Does this seem correct?  Thanks!

Michele

<c01><head>Correspondence</head>
<did><abstract>Correspondence between John Smith and various parties,
organized alphabetically.</abstract></did>

<c02>
<did>
<container type="box">Box 4</container>
<container type="folder">Folder 1</container>
<unittitle>American Heart Association</unittitle>
</did>
</c02>

<c02>
<did>
<container type="box">Box 4</container>
<container type="folder">Folder 2</container>
<unittitle>Anthony, John</unittitle>
</did>
</c02>

<c02>
<did>
<container type="box">Box 4</container>
<container type="folder">Folder 3</container>
<unittitle>A (miscellaneous)</unittitle>
</did>
</c02>

</c01>

---