We also do 3-hour workshops.  Here's the "ad" info for the ones I'm doing this semester.  Clearly in none of them do we get into much depth.  For more info on our workshops see http://www.libsci.sc.edu/ce/pangold.htm.

I've put an example of the slides from one of the older workshops at http://www.libsci.sc.edu/hoerman/educatPPGMARfal03.pdf just to show you the kind of stuff I tend to cover.

Basically, they come away knowing more than they did when they walked through the door.  They also know more of the questions they need to ask and more about what they need to go further to learn.  I often find that someone who has taken some of the workshops later applies to and enters the program.

Heidi

Friday, September 10, 2004 - 9:30 am to 12:30 pm
E-Journals and Aggregator Services
Instructor: Heidi Hoerman, School of Library and InformationScience,USC
An introduction to the issues related to providing access to electronic journals and evaluation of aggregator services.
Registration Fee:  $45.00

Friday, October 8, 10:00 am to 1:00 pm
Cataloging Using the Internet/Cataloging the Internet
Instructor: Heidi Hoerman, School of Library and Information Science, USC
Use the Internet to find cataloging and use it in your own library free of charge.  Learn how to catalog web pages and add them to your library catalog.
Registration Fee:  $45.00

Friday, November 5, 9:30 am to 12:30 pm
Navigating the Library of Congress Subject Headings
Instructor: Heidi Hoerman, School of Library and Information Science
An introduction to the structure and use of the Library of Congress Subject Headings - both how to choose them for cataloging and how to use them for reference.
Registration Fee:  $45.00

Friday, November 12, 9:30 am to 12:30 pm
Cataloging and Authority Work for Small Libraries
Instructor: Heidi Hoerman, School of Library and Information Science
A basic introduction to cataloging for those in small libraries (e.g. schools, small towns, special libraries).  Will also address authority control, that mysterious activity that generates cross-references.
Registration Fee:  $45.00

HEIDI LEE HOERMAN
SCHOOL OF LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SCIENCE
UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA, COLUMBIA, SC 29205
PHONE: (803) 777-0485, (800) 277-2035 FAX: (803) 777-7938
EMAIL: [log in to unmask] (preferred)
           [log in to unmask] (second choice)