I'm teaching an online "Technical Services" course, which includes
cataloging --
a module I've been putting off since this is my first time teaching online
and I
haven't quite figured out how to do that part!

As for chat times, I have used them initially for office hours.  I set a time
when I'm available each week and folks can 'visit' or not.  I also tell them
to let me know if they need to schedule another time.  My students are in
the TWU DE/DL program and are in time zones from Eastern to Pacific.

I am planning my first "class chat" and am in the midst of surveying the
students as to their preference for times.  Since it is a large class, I am
planning two sessions -- to cut down on the number interacting at one time
and to accomodate 4 time zones.

         -- Jeanette

At 06:36 PM 9/30/2004, Cheryl Boettcher Tarsala wrote:
>Heidi--
>   It looks great. I've read two pages--I'm a convert.  It comes at a
>good time because I see in this (my first) online course that the
>students aren't really where I'd want them to be with rules and
>coding. I think the #1 reason is that there are fewer hours of live
>time (2 hours) each week and that's 1/2 the time on-campus students
>get for the same course. Previous iterations of the course didn't
>have this, so I never would have thought of it as a structured
>component.
>
>Q: how do you decide when to schedule your chat sessions? It seems
>like all of your students are in the same time zone!
>
>Q: does anyone have any observations of chat vs. web board on this issue?
>
>Cheryl
>--
>Cheryl Boettcher Tarsala
>Adjunct Assistant Professor
>LEEP program, Graduate School of Library and Information Science
>University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

>The views expressed here are my own and not those of UIUC or GSLIS.

Jeanette Mosey, Head Librarian          Austin Community College
Technical Services & Automation         7748 Hwy 290 West
[log in to unmask]                             Austin, TX  78736
512-223-8682 (voice)                    512-223-8611 (fax)
                         http://library.austincc.edu