Robert Ellett writes:
>The first twenty minutes or so is devoted to cataloging instruction. I may
>use a Powerpoint presentation in Blackboard's virtual classroom. The other
>portion of the time is spent in answering questions. At first, I tend not to
>give out the answer, but allow other students to answer. We have chat rules
>(such as no side conversations, etc.) One of the nice features of
>Blackboasrd is the archive tool. If the students are unable to attend, they
>can read the transcript later.

Yes, Netiquette and Chat rules are a must.  I allow no tangent conversations, student can "raise their hand" if they have a question or I simply go down the line of names in the room and ask for questions.  No SHOUTING (all caps).  We are experiencing the "joys"  of the new WebCT Vista--the chat rooms comes equipped with a whiteboard.  A useful tool---when we can finally manage to get all the kinks out of it.